Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Aprons


Do you own a apron? Do you wear it? or does it sit in the closet collecting dust, or do you just use it at Christmas.
I love Aprons, I have so many. I always use them on a daily bases. Some more then others. (well one most of all) the one that's been washed a million times and is a lot smaller then it use to be. The one that has baked up so many storms for my family.
I also have one for Christmas,and my grandmother's as well. I often will think back yo my child hood with my Grandmother and remember here wearing it.
I also have collected vintage ones that I have picked up at second hand shops over the years and yard sales. (these are my favorites because I often wonder who wore these and what did they use them for) My girls do the same they have their favorites and have created beautiful ones throughout the years.


A friend sent me this poem the other day about Grandma's Apron and I read it to my girls. It is all so true.


Grandma's Apron
I don't think our kids know what an apron is.
The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath, because she only had a few, it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and they used less material, but along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.
It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears…
From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.
When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.
And when the weather was cold grandma wrapped it around her arms.
Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.
Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.
From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables.
After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.
In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.
When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.
When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men-folk knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.
t will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.
REMEMBER:
Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool.
Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw.
They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs were on that apron.
I never caught anything from an apron…But Love. (Author Unknown)


THIS IS SO TRUE!!!!!


Also i found this one to.

'Grandma's Apron'
User Rating:
-- /10
(0 votes)


My Grandma always wore an apron
something we don't see much anymore.
She would put it on over her dress
the first thing when she got up in morn.

She would carry eggs from the hen house
cupped in her apron pulled up tight.
She would also carry apples in it too
then washed her hands and on her apron did wipe.

Her apron hangs in my closet now
as a reminder of those days.
And sometimes slip it on over my clothes
and pretend I'm my Grandma for that day.

I go to the same old hen house
gather eggs for my apple pies.
I wash my hands and wipe them too
and with Grandmas' apron, swat a pesky horse fly.

Nothing I have seen of yet, will replace those aprons worn
they were from those days of long ago
in the day when my Grandma was born.




HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE.

2 comments:

  1. I have never worn an apron but my girls always wear one while working in the kitchen! They are about to rub off on me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wear my aprons every single day.I CAN NOT function with out them. My grand mother still makes us aprons at age 94 for all her daughters and granddaughters. I love them. Such swet poems and so true! I use mine to carry stuff in all the time..lol :) Hope you have a great day. P.S..I'm cathcing up on all your post in case you see lots of comments from me :)

    ReplyDelete