Thursday, July 14, 2011

Summer Season Treats

The weather here has sure changed. Last week and up until Wednesday we had very hot and humid temps. High 30's and soooo very humid.
Then the air changed with 2 days of thunder and lighting storms,and a bit of rain.
It has cooled down without the humidity now,BUT!!!! it is coming back for tomorrow and the rest of the weekend. BONUS!!! It is also HB's weekend off. YEAH!!!!
A couple of weeks back HB had built a new set of stairs leading up to the pool deck. The old ones were steep,had no railing, and were in a bad place. But the new ones are perfect.

Great Job Hubby!!!! I had to just show them off.

With all the great warm weather the weeones are living in the pool. They are so much enjoying their Summer Vacation. They sleep till 10 or sometimes even later,have brunch made either outdoors or in the trailer. Then laze around and play outdoors in the PJ's then change into their Bathing suits and send their day in the pool. Eat late lunches,do some sort of craft around 2 and then back to the pool. WHAT A GREAT LIFE!!!!!
As for me I am enjoying my summer so far. Besides nice weather I am getting a lot done. I have been cleaning out my studio,the potting shed and am no working on finishing my back porch.
I am also lazing by the pool reading up on my favorite blogs, magazines,and getting ready to start a new book that Jayne got for me.
Yes Life is good right at the moment.
HB has begun the hay cutting for this year, and even though we have had such a late spring and with not so good weather until now the hay is ready for cutting and it is even a couple of weeks early.
He has just cut one field and is hoping to finish it up tomorrow.  Thus making it a busy next couple of weeks.
We took a couple of days and picked the 2 fields in front for Strawberries. We had a strawberry shortcake

MY GRANDMOTHER'S STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE
2C. flour
4t. baking powder
4T.shortening
2T. sugar
1 egg
2/3cups of milk. Beat egg and mix in with milk.
Roll out on floured board about 1/2" thick. Bake in round pan. Put butter in between layers and bake for 20 mins.
Layer with strawberries mashed with a little sugar. then with whipped cream. Repeat and build.
Top with whole strawberries for a pretty finish.

 and I made some jam

. I also made 1 pie. I would like to get back out today to get some more. I also need to freeze more rhubarb before the rest goes to seed. I made a few crumbles for the freeze and 2 rolls as well. I also had a rhubarb roll for desert last evening. One of my families favorites.

RHUBARB ROLL
Mix together
2c. flour
2t. baking powder
1t. salt
1/2 c. shortening
add 1/2c. of milk mix together. roll out and spread butter on top of dough. Add 2 cups of finely chopped rhubarb, 3/4 cup of sugar, 3t. flour. roll up like jelly roll.and cut in pieces 1/2 " thick. place in pan. combine 1 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup of boiling  water and pour over roll. Bake 45 mins at 350.
Very good warmed for Breakfast( MY FAVORITE !!! growing up and still is.)
also very good with whipped cream on top for dessert.

It is so nice to see things going back into the freezer again. As it was just about empty from last seasons goodies.
Well I should  go and hang some laundry out on the line. (Another blessing to Summer)
Take care and I wish you all a great day!

3 comments:

  1. Everything looks so good. It is great to have a handy husband who can build things.

    Your rhubarb rolls look good. Have a great day with your family. It sounds like they are enjoying summer break.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you guys are having a wonderful summer! Your husband did do a great job on the steps! The strawberry shortcake and rhubarb roll look so good and easy to make too!

    Have a nice evening.

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so delicious! We do not have rhubarb where we live. Maybe it is to hot to grow here..not sure. I have never even seen any before. My mom makes a desert like your rhubarb one except she uses shredded apples instead. I will have to try the strawberry desert! That looks yum! Great job to hubby on those steps! So glad you all are enjoying your summer.
    Cary ann

    ReplyDelete