Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Monday Maddness with A Little Tuesday Tib bits

Yesterday was crazy bitter cold. The horses pen had not been finished and you guessed it the water froze again. We had to go get Hb at work at noon,as he had gotten a drive in. He took the afternoon off and we finished the pen. We got the water changed over to the new pen and moved them over just before supper.
They seem to be doing great and the water was sure put to the freezing test last night, as it got down to -33, but it is still running this morning.

I made a big old pot of meaty pasta sauce yesterday morning, and it sat on the wood stove and simmered away all day. It smelled amazing in the house all day. I cooked the wagon wheels and we had a lovely supper with fresh bread. I think being out in the cold all afternoon made it even that much better.

We kept the fires stocked up and our little house stayed nice and cozy. I got Hb's lunch done up and the dishes done as well.
The Weeones enjoyed there last late night by playing and Justin watched TV with Dad,after coming in from the garage. He had a fire on in there to work on his skidoo. Tomorrow the kiddies go back to school. That means back to routine, no more sleeping in, and no more brunches till the weekends. :(
I will miss them, as I love having them around the house during the day. But they are a bit excited o go back and see their friends as well.
Today is a tidy, clean, and get organized day. Time to get ready for back to school.
Back to making 4 lunches,back to baking today, so I have something to put into the lunch boxes. I took out a fewounds of ground beef out of the freezer so I will make a shepherds pie for supper tonight,and meatballs for tomorrow.

Besides the horses I have not talked much about the other barn animals lately. The sheep are doing well. The new black lambs merlot,and Chardenay are still a bit timid of me,but have come a long way. Cinnie belle my toggenburg goat is getting huge. I sure hope that it is because she is bred and not all she eats. I was a bit mixed up from when we got her as the people we got her from said she only cycled in late November last year, and had twins. So I was not watching to see if the billy bred her until then, but I am now sure it was more like September now.
Billy Bob the billy goat is still the funniest, chattiest, and great buddy he has been since he came here. He is just a bit heavier like the rest of us.
Lea the llama is doing well too. She does a fantastic job of keeping the coyotes away from the farm.
My hens are finally giving me what I want. A full basket of eggs everyday. The geese are doing well they have not yet settled into making a nest, but I am hoping they do and make our spring that much better with some goslings. Same with the ducks. We now have 4 Indian runners,3 macoveys and one very large meat duck. We also have buttons ( or who we like to call butt-tan- ous) our big black barn Tom cat, and 2 barn kittens that were born here on the farm late last summer. ( mommy cat disappeared when they were about 5 weeks old) a fluffy orange guy who belongs to Jill. His name is Empress Tang,and a multi coloured girl that belongs to Jayne called Alena.
Brew our border collie is spending the nights now indoors as it is to cold out. Molly our very old and senial St.Barnard is not doing to bad with her joint problem at the moment, but still will not spend to much time in the house as she does not like the heat. She has her chair in the barn. Dakota our red border collie loves the fire too. She does find it to cold outdoors and does not come to the barn with Brew and I these days.
And for Francesca our miniture dachshund  well...... She is still the baby is all I can say about her.

So it is that time of morning again, the last for a while where I should get up and start breakfast as I hear the kiddies moving around in there beds. This morning we are having bagel breakfast sandwiches.
Take care and stay warm.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Jessica, I hope your kids are enjoying getting back to school and seeing their friends. I really enjoyed reading about all your farm animals. I will miss having ducklings this spring. Someone bought our ducks and they became his mom's Christmas present. We are thinking of replacing them with angora rabbits because my oldest daughter really wants to learn how to spin.

    Have a great week with your family.

    :)Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is cold. I am so waiting to get above freezing for a bit. Watering in the winter time is always an issue. We have to constantly watch ours. Glad that you got yours fixed.

    We were back up at 4:00 this morning. I was used to sleeping until 8:00 the last few weeks. But, routine is so nice.

    Have a wonderful day with your family.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading all about your animals. Thanks for sharing. Stay warm and God bless.

    ReplyDelete